Sunday, November 16, 2008

Music's Power

I am often in awe at how music can have the power to move a person so much, almost to the point that they can in a sense, feel that song. One song can stir up buried emotions, can bring someone to tears, or bring about the feeling of ultimate calmness.
One song in particular does this to me. "Central Park" (from the King Kong soundtrack) is a song that awakens my very soul and allows me to feel an array of emotions. At first I become completely aware of the serenity I feel as I listen to another person's creation. I feel as if all the stress is taken away and for just a moment I have total happiness.
As quickly as that happiness came, it is taken away by the sense of abandonment and isolation. Suddenly I'm alone. I feel cold and everything becomes dark all around me.
But then, all other emotions aside, the music unexpectedly brings me back to life. I'm feeling hope again. Its at this point that I realize my life has meaning and I feel optimistic about the journey ahead. I feel compelled and driven to create art that will move someone the way this song moves me. To bring even just one person to feel the amazement and wonder of my work would bring me contentment.
Its truly miraculous what music can do.

No comments: